Tuesday, February 7, 2012

DIY Cloud Lamp

I have had this boring old Ikea rice paper lamp in Chloe's room for a while now and it just bugs me how plain it is. I have been drooling over their Maskros lamp shown below. It is absolutely adorable and whimsical and perfect for her room, I just can't justify spending $50 on a lamp for a child's room.
After looking through other lamps in our price range and not being too satisfied, I decided to try and create something fun and cute for her room using the lamp I already had. I saw this post a long time ago from one of my fave interior decorators and have always remembered it.

Materials:
- Circular Paper Lantern
- Cord Light to put in lantern
- White coffee filters
- Hot glue gun


Ignore the Mod Podge. I decided not to go that route since it would take too long to dry.

Step 1:
Turn on your hot gun to heat up and set aside. Grab a coffee filter from the center and gather. I purposefully gathered them all a little different so some are more open than others. I gathered all my coffee filters first so that way it was faster to create the lamp. I made about 120 to begin with, then added more to fill in the spaces in the end.


Step 2:
With hot glue, attach the gathered center of the coffee filter and glue directly to lamp. I started from the top and worked my way around the circular opening. I continued to glue the filters on in a circular pattern around the whole lamp. 


 Step 3:
Fill in any gaps you see with extra coffee filters.

step 4: 
put cord lamp through paper shade and hang. easy peazy. And oh so cute!


This lamp only cost me $2 total since I already owned the paper lamp shade and hanging cord lamp. The $2 were just the cost of the coffee filters. I have seen the circle lamp shade set for about $10 at Ikea and Target, so if you start from scratch you are looking at only a $12 lamp!

I love doing DIY projects, especially when they are easy and cheap! Let me know if you have any good DIY projects you can share! 

5 comments:

Her and the Boys said...

Great Job Michelle! That turned out fantastic!

Anonymous said...

:O!! That looks awesome! pretty neat that the supplies are so budget friendly too :) Great job! Keep'em coming :)

Breanne said...

I did this with paper doilies! I need to post a picture. :) I had the white lamps from my shower and just hot glued the doilies in layers. Super easy and cheap. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahh! That is super cute-I may have to steal this idea, just so you know :)

Great job!

re said...

love how this looks! i bet since filters absorb liquid so well, it would be cool to use food coloring or dye to tint them, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...