Thursday, April 19, 2012

Repurposed inspiration - Mason Jars

I LOVE mason jars. I even told James that if we were to ever have a son, I think I want to name him Mason. 
They are just so fun and whimsical to me. We have tons around our house and use them for all sorts of things. The best thing is that you can find these all over garage and estate sales and even thrift stores. Sometimes even in fun colors like blue. 
Here are some creative ways to use them besides the obvious use of canned fruits and jellies:

Love this planter. You can even use recycled wood for the backing. 
source
Not only does this idea work for plants, but for organization as well
source
We drink from mason jars all the time
source
You can even make the drinking glasses turn into fancy goblets
source

you can use these just like you can with the light bulbs as a terrarium
source
source
You can use them for little love notes. I made James a box one year that had 365 reasons why I loved him typed on little strips of paper with a funny picture on each one so he could read one for each day of the year.  It wish I would have thought of putting them in a decorated mason jar...
source
You can make your own candles with them

And of course, my favorite thing to use them for: lighting. I just love the way they look as a chandelier or light fixture. Here are some instructions from instructables on how to make your own. 
source
source
Here is a tutorial on how to make hanging mason jar candle holders. 
source
I never had thought about using them as photo displays, but it is so cute!
source
Super easy and chic vase for smaller stemmed flowers
source
Here is a tutorial on how to make the jars blue if you can't find them already that color:
source
I really want this for my house. I would put one in every bathroom and the kitchen. 
And maybe even a lotion dispenser for the rooms. 
Go here for the DIY instructions. 
If you don't want to make your own, you can buy them here and here
source
And the yummiest idea I found was desserts in a jar. Like this rainbow cake. 
Instructions found here.  



What are some of your ideas to use this oh so versatile jar?

3 comments:

Miranda said...

I love mason jars. I drink out of them all the time. I use them to hold all my art supplies and makeup brushes. Should probably get some more for summer though, the drinking ones are disappearing.

Sadie Dear said...

I love Mason jars, too! I always look for them when I'm out thrifting and junking- but when I find one? The price is outrageous. <---- me, pouting....

Anonymous said...

I collect mason jars and right now use them for my scrunchie holder and for my bobbie pins. There are some great ideas I will have to try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...